Monday, May 09, 2011

Make It Mine

Now that the shop is open. What next?
For the past few months, I've been working with my current company in opening a new fangled concept and lifetyle shop. Working on the website and a little bit of the products, having a hand in the set-up and planning of the project from the beggining, even having a small vote in the pricing of products has definitely been a rewarding experience.

Now the website is live, facebook page is up and twitter account made. I find myself asking what next? Sure if you think about it there's so much more things that need to be done. The marketing of the shop and products, promotions and creating new series of products for our in-house brand. My concern is the lack of experience I have in marketing and promotions. I do collaterals for branding and identity design, designing and executing websites and user interface, okay, but marketing and promotions. This is very new territory. We'll just have to reserach, charge on and try our best, like how one learns to do any new thing, and hope for the best. It may not always work immediately but you'll always learn something from it.

At this moment two great Alanis Morissette songs come to mind "Hand in My Pocket" and "You Learn". "You Learn" is my favourite, with that one line that captures perfectly one of the main resonating mottos that I have held on to: "I, recommend biting off more than you can chew to anyone...". I totally agree.


At the risk of sounding like a crazed Jason Mraz fan, which I am. No doubt. Every morning I wake up to this song:

http://youtu.be/4xoUHC9uRHM

The lyrics say it all.

On a side note, I was thinking on the way back from Taiwan. I'd really love to make a travel list of places I've been to maybe add a little featurette on where I went and want to go to. For the sake of posterity and because my short memory span will surely not help me remember much. Hmm we'll see, if time and energy permits.



That said, on to something completely unrelated. I've gotten into crochet and knitting recently. Just starting is quite a challenge and knitting is a surprisingly technical craft. But I love the idea of making something out of practically nothing, just yarn a couple of knitting needles and a pattern. Crafty stuff apeals to me. Also the look and feel of the different types of yarn are just endless! The colours are delicious and the options unlimited. I'm in looove!

Quote of the day : "Singing & Songwriting is no different than journaling or blogging. You just have to let go, quiet your mind and move your pencil or tongue up and down a lot. Bobby McFerrin said improvisation is the result of not stopping. In my opinion, all inspiration begins with improvisation." - Jason Mraz, from his blog.

No comments: